Sunday, May 14, 2017

Focus on Your Father Not Your Fiction

I am one of the few daughters who can listen to the song 'Great is Thy Faithfulness' and I easily think of my natural father, Edwin Swedowski.  For example, I only need to sing 'Edwin' rather than 'O God'. My father Edwin relied on advice from other men such as Catholic priest Donald Reiff from time to time, but Donald Reiff was never a 'Lord' of my household or my property. I certainly could never refer to Donald Reiff as an 'O God' even though for some reason we were allowed to call him 'father Reiff'.  Indeed, my actual father Edwin is the same hard-working, fair, tough when necessary, kind, decent and honest  family leader he has always been, even though his outward appearance and rate of speed might have changed a wee bit over the decades.  Were it not for my father, today might not be a thankful daughter's day. My former father-in-law figures were  not even as wise and kind as Donald Reiff by their  choice and the failed spiritual testing when it wasn't all fishing fun and wrestling games.

If you can't relate well to your father you can see or refuse to face, how do you relate to another 'God' or judge or officer of a system you turn to  in a time of crisis?


Great is Thy faithfulness, Edwin my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
“Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!”
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!
2
Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
3
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!









No comments:

Post a Comment