Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Attention Canucks! It's 9/12 or 12/13!

I believe I really have found the probable origin of the term 'Canuck'. Some people think this is Sergei Fedorov's birthday, and it is if you are a strict Gregorian. However, it is also the 12th day of the 9th month of the biblical year,  a Sweet Pea wee bit off from September 12th.

Here's the  most probable origin of 'Canuck' and it is not a derogatory word:


חָנַךְ


It's the Hebrew word (Strong's #2596) which means to 'train up' and 'to dedicate'. It seems rather appropriate as I studied my beautiful 'Jovanovski Canuck Jersey #55' after completing 55 years of life that I search the Scriptures to find the closest  Hebrew audible link to 'Canuck'. 

My 'above average' answer to the question 'Where did the term Canuck originate?' is much better than 'I don't know and I don't care.' 



No comments:

Post a Comment